Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hiking with the Hoveys

Scotty LOVES hiking....as I've said before he would like to go on hikes where you are strattling a ridge scooting yourself along with nothing but a tiny little rope to hold onto. He and Kai went on an 11 mile -hike (yes 11!) a couple weeks ago. They left around 4:30 in the morning and didn't get home til almost 8 pm! Scotty came home sun burnt, muddy, scratched up and sweaty but had a big smile on his face. He goes at least 2 times a month and I've agreed to go at least once a month. So this past Saturday we hiked Kamehame (yes.... it's spelled that way and it isn't a misspelling of Kamehameha). We ivited our friends Mike and Kat Duvernay to join us and met up around 5:15 am (yes it was a Saturday morning- they were good sports).

Thankfully the "trail" or road more accurately was a paved road the whole way. It was uphill the whole way but was lots of fun especially with friends along. It can get kinda scary for me when it's pitch black and you're hiking uphill to an unknown desitnation but it sure helped having to big husbands around and a couple of flashlights....very safe.

At the top we got to enjoy watching the sun rise. I don't think I've ever done that before, so it was pretty awesome. The sky started to get a little lighter....

IMG_3170

Then all of a sudden there was a speck of sun shining thorugh the clouds, I didn't quite realize what it was a first.

IMG_3193

IMG_3194


It was a hazy day due to the Kona winds but when the sun rose above the clouds it was pretty neat.
IMG_3266

We took turns taking pictures at the top.
IMG_3315

IMG_3321

IMG_3325

It was pretty high up and the ocean was so calm and clear....
IMG_3332

IMG_3334

I was tired of seeing myself with my boring old ponytail so I tried a little something different this time by wearing pigtails and a bandana- kinda fun for a change...

IMG_3338

The trip back was a breeze and DOWNHILL all the way.

IMG_3713

The guys had fun exploring and taking pictures- me and Kat had fun hanging out.

IMG_3543

Afterwards we headed to Kuru kuru for some sushi to top off our morning hike. Check out our "family blog" The Happy Hoveys for more pics.....we might have to change the name to the Happy Hiking Hoveys!

2 comments:

  1. HOW FUN! I'm jealous! You guys have the most perfect hiking weather! Gaylon and I have yet to go on a real hike together. Unless you count White House Ruin, I don't think we've ever been hiking! haha. We really want to hike down to Havasupai one of these summers! You guys should come! heehee;0) I think it'd be soooo fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang Sommer! You have really muscly calves! That looks like so much fun, I would LOVE to do a hike every weekend. I need to get out more, I know if I don't make it happen my husband won't. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete