Monday, June 13, 2011

Ratatouille for Two

A few weeks ago I was at my friend Nicky's house helping her with a sewing project when she invited me to stay to dinner.....homemade Ratatouille! So I NEVER heard of Ratatouille until the movie Ratatouille. So I was excited to try it out. It was SO YUMMY! It's pretty much a vegetarian dish so I was surprised at how filling and satisfying it was. Thinking my husband (who doesn't really like fruits or veggies) wouldn't like it I declined her offer to take some home to him. Boy oh boy was I WRONG!

After telling Scotty about the yummy Ratatouille that I so considerately declined for him, we wanted to try making it. I purchased all the ingredients and the next day I came home to THIS!

IMG_6406
 
It was so awesome to just wish for something and have it magically appear!.......Scotty had done all the prep work and created the yummy dish JUST LIKE IN THE MOVIE!! He put our mandolin to work and created a work of art. We put it in the oven, popped in the Ratatouille Blue-Ray and had a wonderful date....dinner and movie with just the two of us! I LOVED it!
IMG_6422

I couldn't resist broiling a little on top....we served it with some steak and the meal was over the top. It was perfection! My AMAZING hubby did all the hard work and I got to enjoy every bit of it....it was AWESOME! Oh yeah.....the left overs were INCREDIBLE! We're definitely gonna be eating a lot more veggies at my house!
As a side note: I learned online that apparently the ratatouille dish in the film Ratatouille was specially created just for the movie as most other recipes use different methods of presentation/chopping of the veggies. You pretty much make a homemade tomatoe sauce in the bottom of a pan and layer on the super thin sliced veggies. Nicky's version was more a chunky chop style and I think she added a little bacon to the sauce and layered the sauce and veggies like a lasagna. Hers was excellent too! So far 2 out of 2 recipes were a hit! Check out Ratatouille's Ratatouille for the recipe.  Thanks Nicky for the inspiration!

2 comments:

  1. MMMMM!!! That looks way YUMMY! And pretty too! Good Job Scotty! Isn't it awesome when your hubby makes dinner!?!?!? I always LOVE it! Gaylon always makes a TON of dishes when he cooks...but it's usually worth it for all the yumminess! We'll have to try this one sometime. It looks really pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! My mouth is watering just looking at those pictures! YUM!! I have go to try that! So awesome that your hubby made it for you too! What a sweetheart : )

    ReplyDelete