In the midst of the chaos of trying to get my stuff ready to sell at the upcoming pow-wow, we got to go on our very first family trip! To Maui!!! Yay!
Originally Hoku and I were gonna tag along with daddy on a business trip in August but it got cancelled at the last minute after I already bought my ticket. So we planned a family trip for Labor Day weekend instead. Funny thing is Scotty ended up having to go the week prior for the last minute rescheduled trip for work so this was his second time going to Maui within a week!
This was the perfect opportunity for a "test" plane ride for hopefully a mainland trip next summer (fingers crossed). Even though it was only a four day weekend trip I felt like there was so much to pack....life sure changes when you have a baby! Scotty and I usually could travel with 2 carry-on's each. This trip we had 2 check in bags, the baby car seat, the stroller and each had 2 carry on bags! Not including a full size pillow and my baby carrier!
Hoku was a good girl and enjoyed looking at all the people at the air port. As long as we are moving she is good. If we sit still for too long, that's when she gets antsy. Thankfully we could hold her on the short 30 min plane ride.
Our first stop was at Whole Foods to pick up lunch. Scrumptious Beef brisket with rice and baked beans. So Ono!
![]() | |||
| Scotty scoped out this yummy dish the week prior. |
Lesson learned: Try and book your trip so you can go straight to the room for the little one (and parents) to stretch out and rest a bit. Hoku was pooped. Any mommy was even more pooped.
Early the next morning we headed up to Haleakala (the Tallest point on Maui) to see the sunrise. We got there just in time as the parking lot was PACKED!
It was fun to huddle alongside everyone else with our blankets and towels from the hotel as we tried to keep warm.

As the sky got lighter and lighter you could hear people worry aloud that there would be no sunrise at all because of all the clouds. I personally loved being surrounded by the clouds. It made me feel nice and secure for some reason.

Watching the sunrise above the cloud line was surreal. It looked like you could walk right out and meet the sun.

You saw almost every color as the sun rose.

It was so beautiful.

It's amazing to think that this sunrise only happened once and it will never happen again. and I was there to witness it.

It reminded me of that picture of Jesus among the clouds with his hands out stretched.

It was so wonderful sitting on top of the world.

Afterwards we took some fun shots of me "holding" the sun.

I love how Hoku's eyes are barely peaking out. She was warm though!
![]() |
| I ♥ the Sun! |
The weather was beautiful and HOT! And I got me a new pair of handmade blue glass earrings that sparkle like the Maui Shoreline.
On Sunday, we drove the road to Hana. The winding road was majestic, but I was so glad to make it to Kipahulu past Hana where we hiked the trail to Waimoku Falls.
The area is full of cliffs and I was a little bit nervous when I saw the "fatal drop" signs. Good thing I kept on the trail and had Hoku bound tightly to me.
The Waimoku Falls hike was by far one of my favorite hikes and the favorite of 2013 so far. I loved the unique scenery including this giant Banyan tree. Wouldn't it make such a perfect tree house? or Grandma Willow perhaps. I think I can almost make out a face...
We saw tons of giant "Yucca" plants. or plants that look like giant pineapple tops.
The tops of the bamboo trees remind me of the Dr. Suess trees in The Lorax.
I love it when ever we get to go over bridges. It must be the Indiana Jones in me....
It definitely felt a little temple-of-doom-y when we entered the bamboo forest.
There was a "board walk" that was fun to walk on. It was eerie to hear the bamboo talk to each other when the wind knocks them together...
I love to see all the exotic plants and flowers when we go hiking.
The Kalo (Taro) always reminds me of American Savings Bank.
I also saw this "Pandora" tree for the first time. I call it the Pandora tree because it reminds me of the trees in "Pandora" in the movie "Avatar"...if only the jungle lit up at night when you walk like in the movie (only I'd never check to see 'cuz there is NO WAY I'll be coming here at night).
You can hear the waterfall before you see it on the 1.5 mile hike (1 way).
It is over 400ft tall. And WELL WORTH the hike (you don't hear me say that very often).
Pictures don't do it justice. But when you stand near it you feel dizzy.
I "forgot" to bring my bikini to get some Tropicana Waterfall shots so only Hoku checked out the water. It was cold and clear.
We had to get our famous flying Hoku shot.
And another with me trying out her new facial expression. The Travis family lip fold. It's a trademark of sorts.(Don't you just love the guys in the background!)
Right after this picture was taken. I what I thought was someone throwing a rock in the water about 5 feet from us to my right. I thought it was the crazy guys in the water fall. But it was actually a tennis sized rock that fell from the top of the water fall! It could've killed us!!!!
Once we figured that out, me and Hoku high tailed it outta there. Maybe that's why they have this sign there.After a short break and a diaper change (for Hoku), We strapped Hoku to Scotty and headed back.
I like to carry Hoku to our destination because I have more energy (and because usually the backpack with the supplies and water is heavier) and then have Scotty carry her back. But it always seems like he gets all the credit on the way back with everyone's comments of him carrying her. I like when he says "She (as in Hoku)carried me up so I guess I'll carry her down" which I think is cute. For the record- I carried her up.
I don't like stream crossings cuz I always think I'm gonna fall down. Scotty got a sequential shot of me crossing this stream. It makes me giggle to think of what it might of looked like if I actually fell. Funny but ouch-y.
When we finished the hike. We walked over the road that goes over the famous 'Ohe'o Gulch also known as "Seven Sacred Pools" (even though there are more than 7).
One side of the 'Ohe'o bridge looks out to the ocean
and the other looks to the mountain side.
Breathtaking views are all around.

The "Blow Horn" sign cracked me up.

Why blow and not honk? It means it is a blind curve so honk to let people on the other side know you are coming cuz the road is narrow...Only in Hawaii eh?
Afterwards we had our turn in one of the pools at the bottom. The fresh water was super clear and sweet tasting when I accidentally licked my lips.
Hoku loved it as did her mommy and daddy.
After a quick walk back to the car,
and a Looong, dark, winding drive home. We were back in our Hotel room. Where we flew out the next day.
Our very first family trip (and plane ride) was a big success. It was fun and exhausting. Having a baby with us kinda takes the "vacation" out of the vacation and I got a case of the sniffles and coughs. But I am looking forward to visiting the Valley Isle again real soon. Maybe Grandpa Scott and Grandma Joelyn will be up for a few nights of overnight baby sitting?




































No comments:
Post a Comment