Friday, May 9, 2014

12 screws 1 plate and an overnight stay

After a painful weekend of splinted leg I got in to see my doctor on Monday and was scheduled for corrective surgery on my broken leg and ankle the next morning. March 4, 2014.

I first had to wait to get my ankle x-rayed. Thank goodness for WIFI in the waiting room (and 2 full sized pillows).
2014-03-04 09.16.07

Unfortunately my my leg was still broken (as if the pain and movement of the bones didn't indicate that all ready)....no miraculous healing for me :o(

I've spent my fair share in Hospitals in the last couple of years and I've learned that it really is a "Hurry up and wait" process. I wiped down with these sterile wipes, put on my gown and hair net and waited.

2014-03-04 10.22.13

My doctor came in and had to mark which leg was to be operated on in two places. So I got his little marks on my left knee and left big toe.

2014-03-04 12.18.34

I was pretty nervous. But also glad to be getting my leg fixed.I knew the sooner I got it fixed the sooner I'd be back to doing what I wanted to and hopefully with a lot less pain. They had to give me this shot thing (kinda looked like an epidural) with the long tube that they inserted in my leg that would put my leg to sleep in addition to knocking me out.

2014-03-04 12.18.50

I woke up to a sore throat and numb leg. I was expecting to see a cast but it looked like the same temporary splint. I noticed the Iodine stains and thought that maybe it'd make a good fake tan lol..... oh and my fake tattoos were still intact, along with my painted toenails.

2014-03-04 19.17.48

They placed me in my semi-private overnight room to be monitored. It was one of the same rooms that Hoku had stayed in while she was in the NICU! Crazy huh? Exact.same.spot.

Kaiser just opened their new NICU with private rooms on another floor and so their former NICU rooms are regular patient rooms now.

2014-03-04 19.31.21-1

I kept thinking about when Rachel on Friends had gone into labor and they put her in a semi-private room with all the crazy people she had to share a room with.

 My "roommate" wasn't too bad....except for her passing loud gas the WHOLE time.....poor thing had some kind of abdominal surgery and I KNOW from experience from my C-Section how that can cause a lot of air to be trapped in the stomach. It was kinda funny....

I on the other hand was pretty comfortable drugged up, and had to keep getting up to go to the bathroom due to my darn IV. Good thing I brought my old lady house dress to wear so I didn't flash anybody, at least not EVERY time......hee hee!

2014-03-05 10.00.39

The doctor checked me over and showed me my X-ray. Originally I only counted 11 but there turned out to be 12 screws and 1 plate. Some of the screws are hiding, but the doc assured me they are there :o( I hated to think what my leg looked like under the bandages....good thing I was still numb.

2014-03-04 Sommer Ankle Post-Surgery X-ray

I forgot to ask him about metal detectors....I'll need to check on that.

I was so happy to see my Hoku Bear and was more happy that she was excited to see me too. It was my first night away from her since bringing her home from the hospital. We asked her if she remembered the room but it didn't seem so.

2014-03-05 11.04.40

I was pretty loopy and had Daddy take me home in my house dress and sock. I was gonna be going right to bed right away anyway.

2014-03-05 13.03.19

No comments:

Post a Comment