Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hawaiian Blizzard!


IMG_1742


On Sunday morning we woke up to the sound of a HUGE storm that didn't let up ALL day long.... if you squinted your eyes a bit- it almost looked a little like snow! So, we had our own version of a Winter Wonderland - Hawaiian Style! The difference?- it is super muggy, hot and wet wet WET!

The streets were small rivers of running water. The electricity in our building went off for a few hours so of course the elevators were out and we had to use the stairs. Thank goodness we only live on the 6th floor and park on the 4th parking level- our friends live on the 12th and 14th levels and had quite a hike (with kids) to get to their car for church. Needless to say, my hair was not cooperating (kinda like what Monica's hair looked like from that one Friends episode lol!).

Surprisingly lots of people made it to church in the huge "Winter" storm and we had a wonderful musical Christmas Program. It was a busy day with everyone exchanging holiday greetings and small gifts.

I've been meaning to get a Christmas Dress for several years now and finally threw one together at the last minute this year...  I was happy to wear my new Christmas Dress I made and had Scotty take a quick picture when I made it the other day.


After church I headed over to my friend Becky's house to sort and wrap gifts that were donated to bring a little Christmas Cheer to families in the Ward. It was a last minute service project that definitely got much  bigger than we thought it would. We worked from the early afternoon to after 8 pm to get things wrapped and organized. It was so nice to see such generosity from the Ward Members, but we really should have organized better and got more volunteers to help. We were able to provide food and gifts to 10 families! Note for next year: Start EARLY and get HELP from others. We were super exhausted afterwards and really should've extended the blessing of service to alot more people. We thought that it would be a quick and simple project but it just snowballed (I guess snow is the theme of my blog today :oP). Lluckily me and Becky are professionals for last minute projects and we got it all done. But I need to remember to ASK FOR HELP! ugh- it's a lesson I keep learning the hard way over and over and over.....

Anyway, I FINALLY have the next few days off of work to finish up my gifts for my co-workers and THEN I will be PAU!! So glad- this Christmas Elf is just about DONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment