Thursday, March 3, 2011

Happy 169th Birthday Relief Society!

I regret to say that when ever there is an upcoming Relief Society Activity, I usually can't wait to get it over with.....ugh....that's so awful to say but it's kinda true.....mainly becuase it takes so much planning and preparing and the several days leading up to the activity I am so worried that it won't turn out just right.  However, yesterday we had our Week Day Relief Society meeting and it was tons of FUN! AND I actually enjoyed it!!! I think it went off so well because so many ladies were involved and it was a collective effort which turned out REALLY successful.

We began by having a get-to-know you activity where we divided up into pairs and gave little mini interviews to get to know one another and as a sneaky way for us (the presidency) to find out what people are interested in.  Then we had a spiritual message and then  several different sisters shared thier hobbies and interests with us.

It's interesting that when we were planning this activity and asking various sisters to help we had to avoid asking them to share their “talents”. Rather we called them their “interests and hobbies”. Why is it that we get so afraid to admit that we have talents? Why is being “humble” mean to some that you can’t be truthful about it is that you can do. Yes we each have various skills and abilities that no one else has, yes we can do some things better than others, yes it is a gift given to us by our Heavenly Father. So why is it so hard to say we have a talent? Why are we afraid of sharing something that doesn’t really belong to us?

In our mini interviews, one question was: What do you admire most about your best friend? This question was so easily answered. Each person had so many things to say about their best friend and what they admire about their best friend. Another question was Name 1-2 things you are good at doing. This question was so hard to answer. After lots of coaxing several ladies finally admitted some of the things that they could do. When reflecting on this I noticed that I have a hard time naming the talents that I have been given. It’s hard for me to admit I have a “talent” because when I hear the word I think of talented people who are gifted writers, musicians, singers etc etc and it’s hard for me to classify myself with “those” people. It is so much easier for me to say that I have interests in various subject or I like to do various things. Having a talent seems to mean to me that you are accomplished in that area and have no more room for growth. I can’t think of anything that I do that couldn’t improve.

As each of the ladies got up to speak about their interests and hobbies, I was so inspired. The sisters each came from various backgrounds, were different ages , looked differently and all were interested in different things. Yet they were each fascinating in their own individual way. It was incredible and almost overwhelming to try and match their awesome skills. As I saw more and more what each of the sisters were capable of I felt less and less worthy to be counted among them. Isn’t that CRAZY?! We each have been given at least ONE gift from Heavenly Father and while we can’t always readily admit those gifts that we have been given they are REAL. Our abilities were not given to us to judge one another by but for us to have joy and for us to share with one another.
Instead of comparing myself to the other talents of the sisters, I should see the potential I have in having such great friends that I can learn from. And maybe…..just maybe….I might have a little something to share with them.

We have been given instant friends at Relief Society with who we can enjoy and learn from. I am learning more and more that there really is no need that cannot be fulfilled through my friendships found among the sisters in my Relief Society, and to think of all the years I wasted thinking Relief Society was just a club for old ladies! Ha! how naive I’ve been. As I have been the Relief Society President for the last 3 years in my ward I have learned and gained a testimony that there are BLESSINGS from service. There are lots of things I would rather not do, like clean the church toilets when it’s our turn to do ward clean up. But as I attend the various activities, meetings and service opportunities I truly am blessed and get so much more from the small sacrifice I’ve made. Yesterday, I just wanted to get the activity over with so I didn’t need to stress out about it so much, yet, I learned so much through the experience.

We ended the night with several yummy food dishes that other sisters brought to share. One of the sisters who shared her new-found talent of crocheting made each of us a tissue cover that we all got to take home. Relief Society activities aren’t there for us to “get them over with” but rather opportunities to serve, be served, fellowship with one another and to have some FUN! Mission accomplished.

(check out the MakikiSisters blog to see more pictures in a couple days)

IMG_4616

2 comments:

  1. What a great photo! You look so cute;0) sounds like it was a fun activity! I was sad to miss our fireside tonight:( gaylon didn't get home until 9. Lame. I'm sure it was really good. I feel the same way as you about my calling. It's always fun but I'm also always stressing about when it's my turn. Hoping it'll be GREAT! Ha. When really they enjoy anything we do. Anyway, muss you! Call me later gator;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olá,
    Muito Obrigada por compartilhar, eu adaptei para minha Reunião.
    Rosy

    ReplyDelete