Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Scotty's Birthday March 27, 2011

Scotty turned 34 on Sunday. Since we've both turned 30 our birthday's haven't been as joyous as they could be since we are no longer 20-somethings. I'm not exactly sure why- I guess maybe it's because we are now real "adults" lol although we still talk about what we want to do when we "grow up"! ha!

Anyway, I didn't give any thought to what we were gonna do for his birthday( I know I am TERRIBLE!), especially since it was gonna be on fast Sunday so I couldn't make a special breakfast and we both have to be to church early for meetings and stay late for meetings etc.....so while at work on Saturday, afternoon I figured I had to do SOMETHING so I threw together a quick "party". On a whim I texted several of our friends, his mom and dad, and brother and had the great idea to have everyone over. I've been on this Pizza kick recently. I tweaked a recipe from the recipe book that came with my kitchen aid and it actually turned out pretty yummy. So I decided to have everyone over for cake and ice cream and homemade pizza.

Of course, me being me, I kept inviting people- as a side note: I don't know why I do this! Every time I have a get together I have this uncontrollable urge to invite EVERYONE! I think mainly it's because I don't get a chance to hang out with everyone all the time so I want to get to know them but then I invite tons of people and then don't have any time to talk to everyone- so it's a vicious cycle......anyway back to my story....

So I invited a bunch of people (pretty much thinking most won't be able to come), and then thought we would be able to get together in our building's party room- ugh yeah, I didn't call ahead to reserve it- but I thought we could just sneak in (yeah again, I'm TERRIBLE!). So Sunday afternoon comes around and I hear a big party going on in the party room so there was NO WAY we were gonna be able to use it. Apparently there was an Indian Festival going on and there was lots of celebrating going on down stairs.....Finally I realize that a bunch of people are gonna be showing up in a few hours to make homemade pizza in our little apartment that's about the size of a 2 car garage! So I spent the afternoon making enough pizza dough for 10 pizzas and preparing toppings and making Scotty's cake. But it actually turned out okay! We were VERY cramped but I pulled it off.

The best part was I got to enjoy everyone and eat some yummy food. I started an hour or so early and had a few pizzas already to eat when people first arrived and that helped alot. We had at least 20 people show up including Scotty's friend and his wife and baby from Law School. We haven't seen them for a while and it was really nice to catch up.

The funny thing is Scotty doesn't really like big get-togethers and he wasn't too excited about getting older, but we celebrated his birthday by having lots of people over and announcing to everyone that he's only 6 years away from being 40!

The kids who all came had drawn pictures and had pennies to give to Scotty as gifts. I think he finished the night about 22 cents richer!

IMG_0043

I made his cake by layering chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, whipped cream and crushed oreos. It was YUMMY! I actually baked oreo pieces inside the cake which sent the yumminess over the top!

IMG_0035

We got pretty creative with finding seating for everyone. The kitchen was a big mess. But it was fun.

IMG_0047

Scotty's poor mom and brother ended up on the lanai (balcony for all the mainlanders)..... (notice my wonderful organizational skills for our "storage")....

IMG_0041


We or  rather I was having such a good time that I was neglecting the pizzas and  the last 2 didn't come out looking that great, but they got eaten anyway and were still pretty good.

IMG_0045

IMG_0046

We had a fun time with everyone and I am so glad we celebrated the birth of my very favorite person in the whole world my AWESOME hubby Scotty.

IMG_0044

BTW- I will be starting my cooking blog soon with the recipe and how to instructions for my pizza- it's actually pretty good if I don't say so myself.....stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I totally want to make some pizza! Except for me being nauseated 24/7. Lame. Hopefully when you come I wont be sick:{ but what a fun birthday! That cake looks way yummy. Everytime I make it I layer it, but I bet it fed lots of people. I made carrot cake for coots birthday. There's still a bunch in the fridge since I've been so sick lame!!! Anyway, counting down the days till you can come!!!! Later gator;0)

    ReplyDelete