After dropping of a friend and visiting a lady from church I was on my way home when all of a sudden it sounded like there was popcorn popping under the HOOD of my car! Of course I pulled over and called my hubby who ended up being my knight-in-t-shirt-and-slippers- rushing-to-save-me-on-his-moped.
Of course he was AMAZING and looked under the hood and quickly assessed the situation. Apparently one of the belts broke and that was what I was hearing hit the bottom side of the hood. I forgot the name of the belt but its the one connected to the alternator (which I learned is what helps to keep the battery charged.) It also is somehow connected to the power steering. Anyway, the good news was that the car could still be safely driven the few blocks home. But of course I was FREAKED out and didn't want to get back inside the car. So my only other option was to ride the moped home.
I have never ridden a moped or scooter by myself EVER! When we were growing up in Tsaile, Arizona there was tons of dirt roads to drive on. My mom and dad brought my two older brothers and my dad motorcycles and since there was 3 girls and 3 boys exactly including mom and dad in our family we used to take family bike rides exploring the various trails all over the rez. It was lots of fun. We would come home windblown, sun kissed and very dirty. My brother Scott would always take me on his bike and we even crashed one time. I was so proud of myself when my husband (also named Scott) took me on his grandpa's bike for a ride when we were dating and I knew how to "lean into the corners".....yeah I guess some girls don't know how to do that! ......btw....I can also drive a stick shift! so yeah I am pretty rad hahahaha!
Anyway, so this was my first chance actually ridging a "motor bike" of sorts. (yeah, yeah it's JUST a moped....) anyway, Scotty showed me how to kick start it. Yeah KICK start it! ugh. it was awful, I had to practically completely jump on the kick start to start it (thank goodness it is automatic!). Then of course you have to give it gas. My beginning was REALLY shaky. The worst part is when ever I would freak out and grab tighter on the handle "gas peddle" thingy you go FASTER! Yeah it was a hairy and rickety ride the few blocks home, and the WORST part was going up the 3 ramps in the parking structure of our building. Then I had to get the kick stand down and that was just as bad as trying to start it up. BUT I did it! I rode the moped by myself in a dress! Yay me!........It only took me the rest of the evening to recover, but I might actually try it again....one day.
Oh I almost forgot- so what makes my hubby so handy? Well then, the NEXT day he goes and gets the belt part and FIXES the car in just a couple of hours. That is so awesome. So we got the car fixed for $7.99 instead of the $150.00 it would've taken at a garage.He is the GREATEST!
That is soooooo funny! I can just imagine you being all dramatic! Haha;0) aren't you grateful for a handy hubby! I know I am! I still remember the time I was dating a guy (I'm sure you know who) we got a flat tire & he did not know what to do!!!!! I asked, don't you have any tools? His reply was, well I have a toolbox w/ my name on it that my grandparents got me for Christmas! HA HA HA! I couldn't believe it. Eventually a guy from my ward recognized me & stopped to help. Needless to say, that boyfriend wasn't around too long after! Haha. I'm so grateful for Gaylon. He's amazing with fixing things!!!! My mental picture of you in a dress driving a moped is priceless! Haha. You should've had Scotty take your picture!!!! Heehee
ReplyDelete