Monday, September 19, 2011

Hawaii 5-0 in Hawaii!

Tonight is the premiere of Hawaii 5-0. Since I've been reading a lot and have lots of other shows I follow I haven't really followed the show, but I think I will NOW! A couple weeks ago I came to work to find......


IMG_20110829_084730

......all these lights and people setting things up, at first I thought it was some sort of vendors setting up to sell stuff and then I saw all the camera equipment…..yeah, they were filming Hawaii five-O right downstairs where I work!

About one second after I took the picture above, I saw a guy who looked REALLY familiar. The only thing I could think was that he looked like one of the Baldwin Brothers. Later on, I found out it was Billy Baldwin (who was playing the bad guy). I guess the scenario was Billy Baldwin’s character robbed a bank and took a hostage- yeah he ended up getting shot at the end of the day and we got to watch him practice being struck and falling down alot.

IMG_20110829_142620 

The blue blanket created a "softer" landing for him as he fell down. 

The down town area of Honolulu is a popular area for various shows. We see the camera crews a lot but I've never seen them filming right smack in the middle of Fort Street Mall in the middle of the day before.

Of course all the ladies around were drooling over Alex O'Laughin. It was fun to see him hanging out between takes. He's the guy with the police vest, blue shirt and tan pants and boots sitting under the tree. 

IMG_20110829_112806

We had a perfect view from one of the corner offices on our floor that overlooked the whole scene.  My co-workers and I each took turns checking things out.


IMG_20110829_085809 

I felt so bad for the boom mike operator, the poor guy had to hold up the mike above EVERYONE’S head ALL DAY long. He must have some strong muscles.

McGarrett and Chin Ho are sitting in the shade by the tree. It's fun to see that they're friends in REAL LIFE too....

IMG_20110829_142836

By the end of the day Detective McGarrett had punched out another cop guy for at least 8 takes (to get all the angles) and Billy Baldwin was taken in and out of the ambulance about 10 times. It was funny to see him lounging around on the gurney, have blood squirted on him, his hair sprayed in place and then switch into character when they said “Action”. Several times there were even fake “gun shots” that rang out during work- very EXCITING! Amazingly they took all day to probably get only a few minutes of footage.

It was funny to see all the women who were watching primp their hair and check their make-up just in case Alex O’Laughlin noticed them. Apparently Facebook was alive with everyone’s updates and play-by-plays of the action. They filmed ALL day and were still there when I left work after 6:00pm. It was interesting to think that while I worked at my desk job at our local bank that “they” were working their job downstairs- only there’s was a little more exciting. I couldn’t imagine how nerve wracking it must be to have to act out your scenes with such a huge audience with people constantly taking pictures from their camera phones.
Needless to say, coming to work in the morning evokes a lot more memories than before. I can actually sit down at the bench where Chen Ho and Steve McGarrett sat between scenes and point out the exact spot where Billy Baldwin ‘s character got shot- (there was even a blood spot on the ground).. So fun!

1 comment:

  1. I can sort of imagine who those characters are; but I don't know anything about the story line since we never seem to watch that show. Dad watches though I know! I've only watched when I'm w/ dad. Haha. But I bet it made for a pretty exciting work day!

    ReplyDelete