Friday, April 19, 2013

Hokulea's Baby Blessing

On February 24, 2013 our Baby Hōkūle`a received her Baby Blessing. It is so powerful to be present when the priesthood is used to bless a person, whether it's to heal them from an illness or injury, to provide comfort, to bestow the blessing of the companionship of the Holy Ghost or to formally pronounce a name upon a new baby. There is a physical feeling that touches you deep within your soul and you know that this wonderful gift comes directly from Heavenly Father.

I've asked Scotty for many blessings over the years and have been present when he blessed others, but the blessing of a father is......something much more. There was such tenderness, care, and love that could only come from a father blessing his baby girl with the help of his father and grandfather.I felt such peace as these 3 generations of men surrounded Hoku and placed their hands on her head as Scotty began the blessing.  It felt as if my boys Koa and Nahoa were there with them along with my brother Joseph and Scotty's brother Travis. It forever connected our past, present and future.

In her blessing it stated that she would be known among the church records and to her family and friends as Hōkūle`a Ch`inibaa` Hovey. It continued on to remind her of the great miracles that have already happened in her life and how she has and will continue to be able to draw strength from the love of her parents and family. She was told she would have the faith to seek their wisdom and follow their direction.

She was blessed that she would continue to stand strong against the challenges faced in life and that she would have a desire to partake of future covenants including becoming baptized and being sealed for time and all eternity in the temple to a worthy husband. She was told that she had a great curiosity not just of intellect but also of the gospel. She was counciled to seek out good friends that will help her maintain the gift of the Holy Ghost. She was told that she would continue to be an inspiration to those around her and her life will be a beacon on a hill that will lead others to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Afterwards daddy held onto her for most of the sacrament meeting. I am honored to have such a husband who be worthy to hold and exercise the priesthood. I can't believe how much more in love with him I am as I see him care for, play with and love our daughter Hoku. Seeing him bless our baby girl was one of my most favorite moments....and I'll never forget it.

20130224-IMG_0678

Scotty's only sister Pohai flew in from Utah and Uncle Robert flew in from Hilo just for the occasion. Grandma Joelyn, cousins Anale'a and O'lena, Auntie Chas, and Uncle Kai all attended. Kris Robison- one of Hoku's NICU practitioners also attended. It was so great to see her and show her how far Hoku has come.

20130224-IMG_0711 20130224-IMG_0761

We forgot to take pictures of everyone in attendance but here is a couple of pictures of Anale`a and `Olena holding Hoku for the first time. Ana is in Pink and `Olena is in Orange.  They have been glued to her when ever she is around ever since.

20130222-IMG_064020130222-IMG_0628

20130222-IMG_0623
With the permission of Auntie Pohai, Grandma Joelyn lent us the baby blessing dress she made for Pohai. Anale'a also wore the dress when she was blessed, so it's kind of become a family tradition.  Joelyn made the dress without a pattern by tracing around baby Pohai. The simple white dress is made of eyelet lace with ruffled tiers. She made a slip to go underneath out of cotton - which we couldn't find the day of the blessing. A few weeks later we found it among my flour sacks that I use for baking! 
20130224-IMG_0716

I love how her little brown chubby legs show through...perfect for the warm Hawaiian weather.


I was so excited for her special day and I was grateful that she didn't spit up on her dress...even though she kept trying to eat the sleeve.

20130224-IMG_0709


I am so happy and grateful for our Forever Family.

20130224-IMG_0742

1 comment:

  1. I am still so happy we just happened to be there the day she was blessed! You all looked so good and happy!

    ReplyDelete