Sunday, August 11, 2013

Ch'inibaa' Trading Post

I've been a pretty busy momma these last few months....In May I decided on a whim to be a vendor at the upcoming pow wow here on Oahu in October. I quickly registered a trade name with the State of Hawaii (for tax purposes) and paid the $200 entry fee. About 5 minutes later, I kinda freaked out wondering what I got myself into, after all I haven't done any crafts for a while, let alone any native crafts! But I figured that with 4 months to prepare I should be okay. It's now August and I have a few items done but I'm still wondering if I'm gonna really have anything that anyone wants to buy,  I sure hope so....

Pretty much this is an experiment of sorts.(It's turning out to be an expensive experiment...but more on that later...)  I've always wanted to try and sell some of the things I make and never really had the time at home to do it. Because it's my first time I really don't have a clear vision of what I want to do and that's what's been hanging me up the most. There is just so much stuff I like to make! And Pinterest is NOT helping. Every time I go on for inspiration I get sucked in and my list of items to make gets bigger and before I realize it's several hours later and I haven't worked on anything!

I decided to name my "business" Ch'inibaa' Trading Post inspired by my baby girl Hoku's middle name meaning "She came out fighting".  Hoku Bear and the boys are my inspiration for the crafts I like to make and the trading post symbolizes the coming together of the rich heritage of Native American, Polynesian, Asian and Caucasion ancestry they come from. Trading Posts historically were gathering places for people to get together and trade their goods. Many would travel for days to sell or trade items they were working on all winter for items that they needed.

Growing up we went to various Rendezvous and reenactments of gatherings of the early American Fur Trade. Through these types of gatherings Native Americans were introduced to modern materials still used today for regalia, food, arts and crafts, and entertainment. For instance the seed beads used today for Native American Bead Work come from all over the world and were introduced to the Natives through trade. Prior to modern day bead work, Native Americans made their own beads or used other materials like porcupine quills (Quillwork) to embellish their handiwork. Designs were not only used to add beauty but most often times symbolically placed and had a special meaning.

So my concept of a "trading post" is really a gathering place out here in the middle of the ocean for me to do my crafts that are inspired by the cultures around me-just like how my children are a literal mixture of heritages. The problem is that this leaves my plan wide open and if you know me,  you know I get distracted easily....you can imagine how the past few months have been. Through this process of crafting I've learned a few things:
- I LOVE sewing!
- Beadwork and tiny handiwork wrecks havoc on your hands!... I officially have carpel tunnel :o(
- It is so exciting to be doing something I've always wanted to...designing my very own dolls.
- Crafting for money is a lot of hard work! Your house becomes a semi-permanent wreck and your baby gets lots of "creative" attention :oP

Calling my little shop a  Trading Post may not be the easiest thing for people to understand so I am currently throwing around ideas for the actual crafts I make. I really like the name "Ch'inibaa Treasures" for my line of children and infant products. Picture to come soon I promise.

As an experiment, my "vendoring" is really a creative outlet and an opportunity for me to explore what I enjoy making the most.  I want my "products" to be something I have designed myself and something I can be proud of. Hopefully there will be a market for my stuff and possibly a little money to earn but mostly its fulfilling a dream. We'll see how it all goes when the Pow Wow finally gets here.

 Here is a little picture of the dolls I'm working on poor things look like little aliens right now, but they are gonna be cute! I promise!

20130809-IMG_5327

No comments:

Post a Comment