Last week Grandpa and Grandma's Kaneohe 4th Ward had a Navajo Culture Night. One of their missionaries Elder White is a convert to the church and is a Navajo/Apache from Flagstaff, Arizona. He volunteered to do a Navajo Taco Night and play the flute he hand makes with his dad. It was neat to learn he made all the money he needed for his mission by selling his handmade flutes at the Indian Market in Santa Fe. The ward helped make the Frybread, and Elder white made the beans. It definitely wasn't grandma's cooking but it was a nice Rez moment in the Islands.
Everyone enjoyed Elder White's flute playing, especially the kiddos taking turns to hold the
microphone.
The sisters in the Ward put together a couple hula numbers which are always beautiful. (I sure wish I could dance like they do but my Navajo hips and flat bottom just weren't made to move that way).

The best part is I finally got motivated to finish Hoku's Rug Dress that I've been working on. (This is dress #2 since she got too big for dress #1).
We couldn't get her to stay still to get a very clear picture. But she sure was cute. I like how this picture looks like her head is about to fall off.
I'm glad her moccasins turned out so well, especially since they are my first pair I've ever made.
The best part of her outfit was the ruffle bottom bloomers that I made and embroidered "Navajo Baby" on. The Lamanite Generation song "Navajo Baby" song was stuck in my head the whole time I was making this... I swear I can hear my mom singing in the back ground and I remember her teaching me and my sister the little dance number that went with it in our living room.

Love those squishy thighs of hers.
The little bracelet that Auntie Crystal got for her really finished her look.
And of course cousins Ana and Olena LOVE Hoku Bear






No comments:
Post a Comment