Sunday, January 5, 2014

Hoku's first Halloween!

Halloween really snuck up on me. Mainly because I think I was so busy concentrating on the Pow-Wow and Hoku's birthday that I didn't realize it was Trick or Treat time! I wanted to have an ultra unique one-of-a-kind costume for Hoku's first Halloween so I kept putting off either making her an outfit or finding one in a store. I ended up throwing together a little Lady Bug outfit just in time for Trunk Or Treating with the grandparents in Kaneohe. 
My favorite part to make were her little bows and antennas. I handmade the pom poms using yarn and a fork (thank you Pinterest) attached them to a pipe cleaner and wrapped them around her pigtails. I made her hair bows with some left over organza from her skirt. A polka dot onesie we already had finished off the outfit. 

The antenna headband that went with the wings was too big for Hoku but perfect for daddy bug to wear

That night at Trunk or Treating Hoku had her first taste of a lollipop. It was a big hit.

Cousins Ana and Olena went as DracuLara and Catrine from Monster's High. (This was the first time I had ever heard of it, but I guess it's really popular since there were a lot of other girls in similar costumes).
20131031-IMG_2780

On Halloween Day I stopped my old office by to see my former co-workers and then headed over to Scotty's office. Hoku was pretty pooped but was willing to wake up for me to take a quick picture of her sitting on Daddy's desk.
20131031-IMG_7001

Halloween evening we headed to the Hawaiian Homestead Community in Kapolei. Scotty's uncles live there and there is always a huge celebration. Thankfully we got there early and scored perfect parking.
20131031-IMG_2731

As soon as the sun went down we headed out.

20131031-IMG_2748

Uncle Kai (being a seasoned Trick or Treater) showed me his trick of keeping all the collected candy in a bag that we left with the stroller so the actual bag doesn't get too heavy. His other tip was that when you use a more empty bucket/bag you sometimes get more candy from sympathetic candy givers ;o)

20131031-IMG_2738

My only experience with trick or treating has been when I went as a kid on the 'Rez. It usually snowed for the first time on Halloween day so we all usually had to bundle up and pile in the car to go to the various government housing areas. Sometimes driving as far as 10-15 miles away to the next community. What was neat about trick or treating in Hawaii is:
- you can stay in one community and get loads of candy

20131031-IMG_2773

- you don't have to bundle up, thus covering up your costume

- Because of the nice weather people will set up tables in their driveways to provide games and hand out candy to trick or treaters. Lots of people were having family potlucks while handing out candy. Some even set up huge sound systems for impromptu dancing.

20131031-IMG_2750
- Some people hand out frozen otterpops and popsicles (which is my new favorite  Hawaiian Halloween treat).

Hoku's first real Halloween is definitely a memorable one!









No comments:

Post a Comment